Saturday, August 18, 2007

Home Sweet Home

I’m at Logan airport in Boston, trying to get home to Chicago. My flight was scheduled for 7 am, but due to maintenance issues, the plane isn’t taking off for an indeterminate amount of time, if at all. Good times. My WiFi antenna is also on the fritz, so I don’t have any access to the super highway. Better times. The only option left to me is to write my first blog entry, and as Paul would say, I have to free-style this one.

So here are my picks, boys:

AL East: Boston
AL Central: Cleveland
AL West: Seattle
Wild card: Detroit

NL East: Atlanta
NL Central: Chicago
NL West: Arizona
Wild Card: San Diego

Boston: A no-brainer. They’ve been a bit sloppy lately, but it’s nothing to worry about. Every team goes through a slump at some point in the season, and the Sawks are no different. From what I remember, they have a pretty easy schedule coming up.

Detroit: I had a tough time choosing between the Tigers and Yanks for the wild card. I think it’s going to be decided in the last few days of the season. The Tigers have been terrible since the break while the Yanks are one of the hottest teams in the league currently, which has allowed the Yanks to get back into the wildcard. But fortunes will reverse, and the Tigers will pull away again. The Yanks can’t stay hot forever, and the Tigers can’t stay cold.

Cleveland: Another team that’s lost their mojo. What is wrong with Pronk? He’s on both of my fantasy teams, and I’ve been holding off on trading him because I didn’t want to sell low, and I thought it was only a matter of time. Call me naïve, but I think he will turn it around by season’s end, and he will push the Tribe to the pennant.

Seattle: Trendy pick.

Atlanta: They made some serious moves at the break, and they have a pretty good track record since 1990.

Chicago: The Cards just don’t have the pitching to get them through September. The Brew Crew is showing their inexperience with the chase, and they’re imploding. I’d say the Cubs are the best of the worst; if they can find a way to win without Soriano, and stay only one or two games out of the lead, then I think they’ll be able to make a late September push to secure the pennant.


Arizona: Burn, baby, Byrne(s).

San Diego: Peavy, the Giles bros.

As you can probably guess, I don’t know shit about the NL. I hate the NL (but that’s for another post).

Later today: I made it home after waiting around at the airport for 6 hours. And this is something that I just can’t understand, but my little brother bought a Yankees cap. I did give him a good scare when I threatened to bend the rim and remove the 50/50 sticker that’s all the rage these days. Matt doesn’t watch baseball either. Just goes to show how much cultural significance the Bombers hold. I've taken the punk to 4 or 5 White Sox games in the last 2 years, and he still picked the Yanks over the Good Guys.

1 comment:

Paul Salomon said...

yay! I celebrate your official entry to the indo-american, despite your hatin on the NL and my cards. good work.