Friday, August 17, 2007

Pain and Picks

I have promised myself that an XM radio is in my sports future, and Wayne has agreed to pay for the unit. Haven't gotten it yet, so the last month of my life has been Cardsless. Today was the start of a HUGE, EPIC, CLASSIC weekend wrap-around 4-game set at Wrigley. Every game will be televised here in Pawling. If I were a praying man, my prayers would be answered. Unfortunately I just sat down to watch the entirety of a gut-wrencher pitchers' duel that ended well for the cubes. BOO.

There was definitely a playoff atmosphere in my apartment, including all the typical celebration/desperation. I jumped and screamed when albert blasted his 26th, and I covered my face and squinted as he flew out to end the Cardinals' chances in the 8th. A 2-1 loss is better than a 10-0, but everything hurts against the cubs. bleh. Let's get the next couple, k?

Now on to my playoff picks.

Since I was the only one with the guts to put my pre-season picks out there, I will not accept any heat for my Marlins pick, which is now hurting somewhere 11.5 out of the division. With that exception, the rest of my picks are still pretty conceivable. Part of me wants to throw 'em back out here with pride, and hope for the best. Another part of me really wants the Baby Backs in October. Here they are:

NL East: Marlins Braves
NL Central: Cardinals (original pick)
NL West: Diamond Backs
NL Wildcard: Mets

Gotta stick by the Cardinals. What else could I live for? It looks now like the Brewers have little to no shot in staving off the creeping Cards and the Cubs, who now share the lead. The Cubs could win it, but even if they will, you can't PICK the Cubs. You can't actually PICK the cubs, tariq, even if they'll win. Cardinals! I do hate the Mets, and I would love to pick the Padres to come back a little bit and nab that best-of-the-rest spot for the west, but the Mets are a strong team. I'll take them. (boo)

AL East: Boston (original pick)
AL Central: Indians (original pick)
AL West: Angels (original pick)
AL Wildcard: Yankees?...

I REALLY want to see the Mariners in the postseason, but it's hard to say that they will get the 3 games they need from a team like the whatever Angels of wherever, and it's just about impossible to say they will outplay the yankees down the stretch, not the way the yankins have been crankin. Then again the yankees have that potential to go from flaming hot to choking cold at the drop of a series. It's tough.

REVISION
AL Wildcard: Mariners
Gambare Ichiro-san! Figh-to! Figh-to! Figh-to!

No comments: